A horse-drawn, 2ft gauge, Tramway was originally completed in Broome in 1898 to convey goods from the new Jetty at Mangrove Point into the heart of the small community at Jap' Town. In the new century this was converted to a more stable 3ft 6in gauge and then to steam driven in 1910. Latterly, in the 1950's the locomotives used were diesel powered, and the line was finally dismantled with the closure of the old jetty in 1966.
This project aims to re-establish a working Tramway, following as much of the original route and rolling stock as possible. This Tramway will have cultural and historical significance in addition to providing a further tourist attraction for the town.